Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Cynicism of Adulthood

I remember this old interview. I watched it when I was a kid. In it, Harsha Bhogle was interviewing Sachin Tendulkar. Harsha asked this question about experience, about whether it matters or not. Sachin replied by saying that with experience, you start to know the ways things can go wrong and with inexperience, you just go and do your stuff without much thought. I remember it in a little jaded way but that was the gist of the interview.

When I was young, I used to think I could change the world. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is possible. But I don't have the same enthusiasm about it. Where did I lose this enthusiasm? As life tends to kick your ass in its own way, you learn that people don't change as quickly as you thought. Frankly, movies and TV tend to create false hope that things can change, for a fleeting moment. Then you realize things aren't as rosy. If you think about it, we always descend down the stairs as we grow up.

Recently, I learnt that a debate is of no use if people are not ready to change their mind. It becomes a quarrel and then before you know it, it becomes a full blown hate/revenge story.  When you are a child, your opinions are not considered. During teen years, your opinions are considered hazy and foolish. And when one becomes an adult, one just stops having opinions because they know it is dangerous. When you do have an opinion, you are expected to stand up for it. If you don't, you are considered spineless. And if you do stand up for something, you bloody well make sure there are people standing behind you because if you do stand alone, you are sure to become a martyr for a cause that might be forgotten after a while.

I maybe wrong, but hey, it is an opinion. My cynical side has shown up I guess.

****
I am sometimes pessimistic. I like tragic stories. I must have been Greek in my previous lifetime(No, I don't believe in reincarnation, but you do get my point, don't you?) .

Even through all my pessimism, I still believe that change is possible when enough work is put in. It just takes enormous strength. Oh, how I wish listening to "Eye of the tiger" refilled your virtual strength "meter". As you gain experience, I am sure you'll learn of ways how many ways you can fail. Just don't let it bother you.

By the way, those Rocky movies were damn inspiring. Seriously, if you are looking for inspiration, even for a little bit, watch the original Rocky. It will give you hope.