Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Da Vinci's Demons

Da Vinci's Demons is a TV show I got to watch recently. It is a different spin on the life of Leonardo Da Vinci. The critics say that the show has many inaccuracies. And from what I have seen of the show, it does seem to be inaccurate, but it seems to revel in its inaccuracies. The show takes place during the Medici's rule of Florence during the 1470s. The Pazzi conspiracy of assassinating the Medicis is also major story arc. However, Da Vinci's role in these story arcs are fictionalized and brought to light. Reading some of the Wikipedia entries of Da Vinci, Count Riario and the Medici's showed that the show is following the major story arc accurately enough, but straying wherever it can, creating a kind of alternate history. The show brings some of its own elements to the fore like what the plot of the game Assassin's Creed II did, which also took place in the same time period.

To be honest, if it were not Assassin's Creed II, I would not have been as interested in Da Vinci's Demons. Interestingly, there exists another show called The Borgias. The Borgia family also played a major part in the plot of Assassin's Creed II. What fascinates me is the mixture of real history and conspiracy theories which throw up some intriguing possibilities and ideas. I owe my (little)knowledge of Renaissance Italy and Rome to the games Assassins Creed II and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

What is really interesting is that, even with it's inaccuracies and fallacies, I enjoy the show for what it is. Occasionally, I read the Wikipedia entries to know what actually happened so as to not disillusion myself.

---

They say one's roots are important. They identify you. I do not know what to feel when I say that my knowledge of India's rich history is not that great. From the Pandians, Cholas to the Mughal Empire, I do not know a great deal about them. I sometimes wonder how a show involving the Mughal empire would be. The invasion by Babur, the intricate politics of Akbar's court, the fall of Aurengzeb and there are many more stories which can be told in a very interesting way. Maybe include Birbal as a lead character like Da Vinci? Explore the secret world of the Mughals? Or even why restrict ourselves to the Mughals, we can explore the other kingdoms of India too. Maybe create an alternate world like Game Of Thrones? I see so many possibilities. We can take a leaf out of the European/American TV show model and create wonderful shows with history and fiction mixed in the right amount. I would watch that kind of show. And yeah, help me be aware of Indian history by forcing me to read Wikipedia entries about it whenever I suspect inaccuracy which would in turn benefit me, although in a convoluted way.

That is me just dreaming there.